Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Katelyn and the Doctor

So we decided to take the kids to the doctor to get a flu shot. Well, the flu mist. Ethan sat on the table and took it like a man. No problem. Zach sits on the table kicking his feet, "I'll do it!" The first side shocked him and he said, "it's kind of hot." Well, as far as I know it isn't hot, but it must burn a little bit. Second side, he flinched a little, but not bad for a three year old. (This is the kid that when we took him to his first dentist visit, didn't move a muscle while his teeth got cleaned. Which was amazing to us because the other two at his age kicked the dentist, and at one office we were asked not to come back.) Anyway, so Katelyn, who started to cry when we first got there, was absolutely hysterical when Zach said "it's hot." So we sat her on the table and said, you can either have the mist up your nose, or you can get a shot in your arm. (The last time she got a shot, at 4 years, she kicked the nurse, and the needle almost broke in her arm.) Okay, so she wants it in her nose. The nurse just gets close to her, Dan is holding her head, kind of hugging her, and she starts to scream like we are killing her. She screamed soooooo loud!!! Oh my heck. I could not believe how loud she screamed. And of course the entire office heard her. So we get looks from EVERYONE as we march out. (Having a large family we are like a parade everywhere we go anyway, so we are kind of used to it.) What I don't understand though is when they look at you like you are a bad parent. As if we love it when our kids scream and yell. It wasn't as if she was being bad, there is a huge difference between being scared to death, and being a bad kid.
Once when I took the kids in I ran into my OB doctor and we were talking about if Dan and I were going to have another baby any time soon. One of the receptionists overheard our conversation. So a little while later, she apparently thought I had left, I hear the receptionist talk about how crazy I was to want more kids, etc.... As if it was any of her business. That was back in May, so I am sure she was surprised yesterday to see that my stomach has expanded a lot. :)I don't know what she was all bent out of shape for. The more kids I have the more her job is secure.
We really aren't sure what to do about some of Katelyn's fears. You mention the word doctor, and she goes and hides under her bed. She is afraid of her own shadow. No really. One night before she went to bed, she had to go to the bathroom. The hall bathroom was occupied, so she went into ours. All of a sudden Dan hears her screaming her head off and she comes running in to get him. "I saw something in there!!!" So Dan walks back with her, "okay Katelyn what did you see?" "That!" She was pointing to her shadow. She used to come into our bedroom pretty often really upset because she has had a bad dream. So finally I said, "Katelyn, when I am afraid of something, I say a prayer to Heavenly Father. He will help me to be brave and to not be afraid anymore." So every night before she falls asleep, I hear my little girl, "Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to be brave and to not be afraid, and to help me sleep." She hasn't woken up during the night since. We tried that when we go to the doctor... so I hate to think what would happen at the office if we didn't say a prayer first!

1 comment:

Kim Watson said...

What a sweetheart, saying her prayers at night! Those are precious moments when children pray.